Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Out and About With Audrey


On Friday, I went to campus to try to get an "enrollment verification letter" from the Registrar's office. Any time I try to do anything within the bureaucracy of the University of Arizona, it always takes me longer then I expect. In this case, this was my third trip to the registrar's office to get this letter, because on the previous trips, something in my record was wrong or incomplete.

I was feeling pretty proud of myself because I got myself and Audrey out the door at 8:30 am and we parked and got to the Registrar's at 8:45...only to discover that the office was closed until 10 am for a staff meeting. I thought about going home at that point, and making my fourth trip back the next week, possibly when Paul or Pat was watching Audrey. But then I thought about the "Rookie Mom's Handbook," a little gem of a book given to me by my friend Skylar. Somewhere in the book, I had read (and I'm paraphrasing) - go out with your baby, because that's what people do, and moms are just people with children.

So I thought, what would I do if it were just me, no Audrey? Well, I would get a chai tea latte and go over to my department for an hour or so, and try to get a little work done. So I did. I got my chai tea latte, answered questions from curious onlookers about Audrey, and walked over to the Anthro department. I didn't end up getting work done, I nursed Audrey in our office instead, but it worked. I went back to the Registrar's after 10 am, and got my letter, and we went home.

4 comments:

RookieMom Whitney said...

Hey, congrats! You did it!

Alexandria Poet said...

Good for you! (and probably for Audrey, as well..) And congratulations on getting the letter. In the world of rookie mom-dom, getting anything accomplished outside of the basics is a major achievement.

Skylar said...

I've had many instances of getting up with the kids at 6 AM and figuring 3 hours later was a good time to go someplace...only to recall that most places aren't actually open until 10 AM. Unfortunately, it's happened more than once...

Katie said...

so proud of you....
it is good for moms to get showers and get out of the house and have people smile and tell you how beautiful your baby is. (helps counter some of the other less positive feelings toward the world and the baby)
you are already such a good mom! (not that there was much doubt)