Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Audrey the Furniture Whisperer


So I'm sitting here in the nursery with my fussy baby. Or, she was fussy until I put her on the changing table. Don't get me wrong, she really dislikes getting her diaper changed. But lying on the table...she loves it. We have a "Rail Rider" which for the uninitiated is a plastic tray with a waterproof pad in it that fits over the crib rails. So the Rail Rider puts the baby almost level with the object of her affection - the end of the crib, colloquially known in our house as "Headboard."

Audrey LOVES to "talk" to Headboard. Despite the fact that she is a mere 5 1/2 weeks old, she communicates with Headboard in every way she is able: she smiles, makes sounds, waves her arms, and kicks her legs, sometimes all at once, to convey to Headboard some mysterious content. We have tried to duplicate her view to see what she might be so excited about, but to no avail. Paul thought it might be the contrast between the crib slats (dark, then light from the window behind). But she seems just as excited about Headboard after dark, when that "contrast" explanation wouldn't hold. Plus she seems to be looking at the solid part of the headboard, not the slatted part, for all we can tell.

Headboard can keep Audrey occupied for 10 minutes - an eternity in baby time. He (or she, I suppose) can make her forget that before we came into the nursery, she was demanding to be fed (even though she just finished eating for 30+ minutes). One of Paul's theories about Headboard is that her guardian angel hangs out there, and that's who she's communicating with when we lie her on the changing table. I kind of like that explanation, and have taken to sometimes putting words in her mouth when she starts communing with Headboard. Like, "Oh, Headboard, it's been a rough morning - I wanted to eat all the time and mommy tired to only feed me every hour instead of every five minutes. And then I filled up my diaper and had to get my diaper AND my onesie changed! I think only you understand where I'm coming from, Headboard."

Sounds from Audrey - the last one sounded like "Whoo!" I think Headboard is expanding her "vocabulary" - and definitely strengthening her legs, since kicking her legs is a big part of talking to Headboard. She may be tiring of Headboard's company, since she's been "talking" the whole time I've been typing this. But who knows. Whether it's contrast/light patterns or her guardian angel, Headboard is special to Audrey, so viva Headboard!

2 comments:

Alexandria Poet said...

Had I not seen it myself, I'd find it hard to believe, but she really IS fascinated by that slab of wood--even a couple weeks ago. Bodes well for sleeping in the crib, I would think...

Anonymous said...

Audrey is really advanced...she is already practicing talking to boys in high school!