Monday, August 11, 2008

A couple of really cute primates


Okay, so this picture is actually a few weeks old (an eternity in Audrey-time) but it is so cute that I wanted to post it. To celebrate her birth, my friend and college roommate Andrea, who's a vet at the Oakland Zoo, sent Audrey a stuffed chimpanzee.

Although I'm not a primatologist, it is part of what I do (biological anthropology) and I have actually taught a class in primatology, so I'm pretty stringent (some might say annoying) about pointing out the difference between a monkey and an ape. So Audrey's "new friend" is definitely an ape, not a monkey. And in the photo, she's making her big smile, what I call the "chimpanzee play face" because chimps make this face - opening their mouth wide - to show that they want to play with you!

So Audrey and friend - who I've named Gregory - relate, one ape to another.

No comments: