Wednesday, April 29, 2015

Blogs for an Alternate Universe

I've been thinking about writing a blog post about our three-and-a-half-year-old. She is totally into dandelions. She cannot pass a groups of them - or indeed, a single dandelion, without wanting to pick it and take it home, usually for me or my husband.

Dandelions on our street
 It's really cute, even if it does mean I end up with dandelion bits in all of my pockets. There are worse things (like pieces of crunchy granola bar in your pocket. Seriously. Note to granola bar manufacturers; re-sealable packages). But I digress. I wanted to write this post because I remember when our almost-seven-year old was into dandelions, too.  It's a particular cute kid phase, where for a while they're into picking you flowers, and then, they stop. They move on. Suddenly your counters are no longer filled with flowers with impossibly tiny stems, picked by your preschooler.

As I thought about writing this post, I wavered back and forth. Should I write it? I don't tend to blog about the kids (although they are definitely part of the blog.)  I write about travel, about language, about Scotland and living overseas. At one time I was a mommy blogger; if you look far enough back on this blog (and I mean far back, like pre-2010) I wrote about becoming a parent and my now-almost-seven-year-old's achievements when she was a baby. It was what I did when I wasn't writing my dissertation.  But I'm not a mommy blogger anymore.

Which led me to think: in an alternate universe where I wrote blog posts and actually got paid for it in some form, what would I write about? Here are my ideas.  Feel free to state your favorite in the comments here, or on Facebook or Twitter, if that's how you access my blog. If there's support for one idea over the others, I'll start up a Wordpress blog and, as they say here in the UK, I'll give it a go.

Blog Possibility #1: #Myhusbandsrants
This would be a co-created blog because as the name implies, it would be made up of my writing down, and commenting on, my husband's rants.  He rants on a variety of topics, and they are almost always humorous. The content for this blog would be similar to my post The Beard.

Blog Possibility #2: Spiritual Evolution
This would be a blog about links between religion and life written by me as a liberal, non-evangelical, open-minded Christian. The title is inspired by the first question I often get when I tell people that as an undergrad, I majored in biological anthropology (centrally about human evolution and human adaptation) and minored in religion. That question is, "How do you reconcile evolution and religion?"  I have written a few blog posts that talk about Christianity or church but as far as I can tell from my blog statistics, they are not very well-read.

Blog Possibility #3: Productive Me
Hopefully if I actually write this blog I wil come up with a better title for it. It would be about how sleep, daily rhythms and vacation can help you work harder and smarter. This would draw on some of my academic work on sleep and also coverage of these topics in the press.

Blog Possibility #4: #FuturecastingFriday
This would be closest to what I now do on Twitter.  I think I would have to publish each Friday, given the name. But basically I would be interested in writing and sharing information about three areas - the technological future (which I tweet about currently for work as @digitallifespan), the health future (which I tweet about currently for fun as @kayorzech) and also possibly tools for helping groups (especially policymakers and businesses) consider the future (futures toolkits), which I've been researching recently for work and find interesting.

Thanks for reading and I'm interested to hear what you think of these ideas!

No comments: